How to Perform Sun Prayers
Do this beautiful spiritual ritual outside on mornings as the sun rises. If you live near a body of water, perform the ritual beside the water, or even better, wade into the water.
1. Fill a clay or copper cup with water. Be sure to set aside a cup just for your sun worship ritual. Do not use it for eating or drinking.
2. Go outside and face east, the direction of the rising sun.
3. Raise your hands above your head and, with both hands holding the cup, slowly and reverently pour water downward to the earth below.
4. Keep your gaze turned upward toward the open sky, where the sun is about to rise.
5. As you pour water from the vessel, you can, if you wish, chant the mantra of your choosing, or you can simply chant OM throughout. Learn more mantras here.
You can shower or bathe either before the spiritual ritual or afterward.
Fresh in body, aligned with sun, earth and breath, grateful to the muscles and bones for bending and flexing upon your request, totally appreciative of your existence on earth, and refreshed and cleansed in body and mind, begin your day!
Acharya Shunya is a globally-recognized spiritual teacher and Vedic lineage-holder who awakens health and consciousness through the Vedic sciences of Ayurveda, Vedanta and Yoga. She is the driving force behind an online wisdom school and worldwide spiritual community, and the author of best-selling book on the Vedic art of mind + body + soul well-being and health, Ayurveda Lifestyle Wisdom (Sounds True, 2017) and forthcoming second book with Sounds True to be released in 2020, Sovereign Self. Acharya Shunya is a keynote speaker at national and international conferences, and serves as an advisor to the Indian Government in matters pertaining to global integration and cultivation of Ayurveda and Yoga. Receive her free online teachings and browse her current eCourse offerings here or see more about her on Facebook and follow her on Instagram. Subscribe to her YouTube Channel where she holds live Global Satsangs once per month. Study Ayurveda with Acharya Shunya in her online course, Alchemy through Ayurveda.